SEARCH THIS BLOG

Thursday, August 09, 2007

EMBRACING

Where does the unending hunger to do the right thing come from?

I listened to Proverbs today and the verse that stood out was:

A MAN THAT DOES WHAT IS RIGHT FEARS THE LORD, BUT A MAN THAT DEVIATES FROM THE LORD DESPISES HIM.

God's ways are upside down and opposite of my human methods and understanding every time. I think if we enter into every conversation or small group or quiet time with this on our mind it changes everything. The Spirit of God wants to move but there is so much pretense built on pride. It's like having a cup of water and human understanding says keep the cup upright so the water can be used "at my time in my way" so it doesn't go all over the place. But God says, "No. Let go of the cup altogether so I can flip it upside down and make a little mess if I want, so I can direct the water where I want it to go, or so I can flip it upside down and keep the water from coming out if I want.

The Lord will bring us to the same location of struggle until we yield to Christ in it. I see that in order to yield or obey I am going to have to be willing to embrace the possible pain, fear, loss, of letting go for Jesus. It's the final resolve in each issue and season of life: Embracing the unknown that happens when we yield. Jesus embraced the pain of the cross that came after choosing to do the right thing.

Controlling the cup of water is really a deviation from the Lord... and it's sobering to think that this can lead to despising the Lord. Embracing all the possibilities of the unknown that come after yielding to the Father matters a lot.

How nervous would you be if you new you were going to be nailed to the cross in two hours and left to die? Do you see yourself embracing the pains of your cross like this today? Take up your cross and follow me. This should make us nervous...its serious business to work out our salvation with fear and trembling in the right way.

Help us embrace for your glory Lord!

No comments: